****We are currently NOT accepting any shipments at this time due to the Covid-19 outbreak. As soon as business resume as usual in the SPIT lab, we will update this page. In the meantime, please reach out to us via our email contact for any questions.****
All sample shipments can be sent to the following address:
Shipping & Packaging Instructions for Saliva/Urine/Serum/Plasma Samples
- Use twist cap vials or microvials (do NOT use snap-cap vials)
- Only send frozen samples in vials properly labeled
- Make sure each vial is labeled clearly with ultrafreezer-resistent markers (do NOT use basic Sharpie permanent markers) OR with preprinted microvial labeler (do NOT label vials with paper stickers or scotch tape)
- (Optional) Ask for preprinted vial labels to be shipped to you by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure each vial is tightly sealed to prevent any leakage during shipment
- Place vials in a secure cell-holder box to prevent samples from moving during shipment (see example 1)
- For urine samples, place samples in a secure sectional to prevent samples from shifting around during shipment (see example 2)
- Label cell-holder box(es) properly by study name, PI, date of shipment, and box number
- Send an electronic copy to email@example.com of vial location (vial ID numeric/alphabet) of each cell in cell-holder box
- Secure the cell-holder box by taping outside or use rubber bands
- Ship cell-holder box(es) in an insulated shipper with enough dry ice (do NOT use regular ice) that can last an overnight delivery (see example 3)
- Seal the insulated shipper tightly to prevent any release of air or air entering
- Ship insulated shipper in a cardboard box properly labeled with shipping and return addresses
Shipping & Packaging Instructions for Hair Samples
- Place hair samples in a foil packet (see examples).
- For longer hair, loop the sample without bending the hair sharply (see example 1 “do” & 9 “don’t”).
- Clearly delineate the scalp end of the hair by banding the hair near the scalp end, noting the scalp end marker on the foil, or preferably both (see example 1 & 2).
- Fold the foil packet such that it makes an envelope over the hair (see example 3).
- Label the foil envelope with all relevant sample information (see example 4).
- Place the hair sample in a manila envelope for shipping. If sending less than 15 samples please use a padded envelope.
- Label the envelope with all relevant sample information (see example 5).
- Keep the sample at room temperature.
- Label samples in a clear and legible manner.
- Please include participant biological sex when possible.
- Please use a tracked shipping method.
- Please do not place a label over the edge of the foil (this will have to be cut and participant information will be lost) (see example 6).
- Please do not tape, glue or otherwise use adhesives to attach the hair to the foil (see example 7 & 8).
- Please do not use biohazard bags or any bags that is air tight (to prevent condensation).
- Please do not ship hair with Saliva.