Welcome to Dr. Angela Shaw’s Food Safety Website
Dr. Shaw is a life learner, educator, motivational speaker, leader, and role model, source of identity, spiritual motivator, and rule maker, who combines biblical and science-based principles to empower her work, community, and the world’s food supply.
The purpose of this website is to provide the latest scientific-based food microbiology based educational information to empower food producers. This web page also serves as a hub for all of Dr. Shaw’s programming with updates on the latest events and summaries of events
About Dr. Shaw
Dr. Angela Shaw is an Associate Professor and Extension Specialist of Food Microbiology/Safety at Iowa State University in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition. She received her B.S. and M.S. in animal and meat science at Iowa State University and continued on for her PhD and a postdoc in food microbiology at Texas Tech University.
At Iowa State University her research and extension and outreach focus on the development of intervention strategies to control and prevent foodborne pathogen (E.coli O157:H7, non-O157 STEC, Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes) within the farm and food manufacturing settings. Her research reaches many different commodity groups including fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, grains, and by-products, while her extension work focuses on education of emerging food safety concerns and food regulations.
Dr. Shaw is a lead trainer for the FSPCA Preventive Controls Human Food and FDA Produce Safety Rule and a lead trainer for the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Animal Food. She has taught HACCP , ServSafe Certified Teacher, Good Agricultural Practices, and Good Manufacturing Practices for 15 years.
- Effective educational methods for FSMA compliance
- Prevalence and survival of foodborne pathogens within the farm and processing environment
- Dropped Produce in Grocery Stores and Food Safety education in Grocery Stores
- Food safety needs assessment for grower, retailers, and restaurants in US Virgin Islands
- North Central Region Center for FSMA
- Iowa On-Farm Food Safety Team
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training
- FSPCA Preventive Controls Human Food
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) Program for Non-Meat Manufacturers
- Food Microbiology for Industry Short Course
- Good Agricultural Practices
- Train-the-Trainer Food Safety Education
Current Research/Extension Summary
- Refereed Journal Publications: 32
- Refereed Extension Publications: 31
- Grant Funding: $11,425,827 (Direct to Lab $3,070,995)
- Supervised at ISU
- PhD Students: 4
- Master’s Students: 7
- Undergraduates: 12
- Interns: 13
- Committee Member: 18
Research and Extension Audience: Growers/Farmers, Processors/Manufacturers, and Holders of Food for Human Consumption